Sunday, August 31, 2008

The solution to my vertical mowing challenges.


Well, I mowed again. Yes, it is only the second time in about 5 weeks. I'd like to tell you that with the different climate that grass just doesn't grow as fast, but...... Ok, it doesn't grow quite as fast as back home, but pretty close.
The truth is that with vacation and school coming we've been busy. Also, I now know how much work is involved, which means I wasn't really trying to find time. On the bright side, the knowledge of what awaited also prompted me to "work smarter, not harder". So, before I decided to tackle it again, we went back to Castorama and spent way to much money on one item. Or so I thought at the time. Turns out, I'd have paid twice what it cost. A Ryobi brush trimmer (with a novel containing directions in probably 70% of the known languages in the world) turned out to be a godsend. It still took me 3+ hours to mow the lawn using both pieces of equipment, but it was done with less effort and much less chance of serious injury. Check out the picture closely. Another welcomed addition was an accident. While going through some boxes I found an old pair of softball cletes that I never meant to pack. The work much better than my golf shoes.
For those of you that think I'm exaggerating, let me know if and when your coming. I'll make sure the grass is nice and tall for you.
Swingset Update
On Wednesday, I returned home from the aforementioned Fiesta to find a slip in the mailbox that I couldn't completely read. Unfortunately, I could make out enough to suspect that someone had attempted to deliver the two missing pieces to "Happy Garden". Now. the rest of the swingset is sitting there in the carport open and uncovered. Why oh why couldn't the driver have left it. But, they don't do that here. You don't come home to find packages from UPS on your door step. If you aren't there the first time, you go find them.
Our first order of business Saturday was to do just that. Despite the 40 minute drive, each way, it was collected without a hitch. I am happy to report that I now have (I think) all of the pieces. Our plan for this afternoon (Sunday) is to work together and get this thing assembled. Just in time for the kids to go to school everyday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mowing update brings back memories of your mowing in Noble...back on the hill, with headphones on singing away...not sure you knew (or even cared) that we could hear you all the way to the house. Anyway, good to see a smile on your face. Hopefully there will soon be a picture of two smiling children on their swingset!
Granny

Anonymous said...

Matt: You look like you've lost weight. All of those hills and hollers must be agreeing with you!

I hope Dana is feeling better and that the kids are looking forward to school starting.

Happy Labor Day!

Kathy

Eric Bender said...

Hey Matt, those gloves sure look like the kind that Tate and Lyle used to issue. Did you grab a few handfuls before you left?? haha