Monday, August 11, 2008

Hooray!

For those keeping track, today was the day that Castorama had so painstakenly scheduled for our delivery. In a stunning bit of similarity to the U.S., delivery was schedule for "le matin". Simply "the morning". Comforting. Glad the kids and I didn't have anywhere to go. Problem is that "le matin" came and went. At around 12:30, it happened. No, the swingset didn't show up. That would have been to easy. Instead the phone rang, it was the truck driver, lost. In hindsight its probably good he spoke no English. I say that because it would have been embarassing to speak the same language and still not be able to direct him to my house. As it happened, our conversation was almost meaningless (for him anyway). The only information we managed to share was that 1) I was "Monsieur Thomann" 2) I was awaiting delivery of a swingset 3) I was currently at home. The phone call ended with him saying "a tout a l'heure", which usually means roughly "I'll see you in a little bit". I took that as a good sign.

10 minutes later, the phone rang again. This time I clearly understood him (a shock). He was in Ronziere, our little village of about 15 houses. Trouble is, he wasn't in my driveway so it didn't help much. Just then I saw him on the main road below about 100 yards away. So, from my deck, I started waving like a madman and yelling "ici, ici" (here). Luckily he saw me. I understood his next question as well, he wanted to know if he could drive his truck up my little road. It was just then I decided it was time to adopt a common french philosophy. I said "Je ne sais pas" which literally translates to "I don't know", but really means "that your problem". As he hung up I could hear him downshift.

He made it up and delivered the 2 million plus pieces right to my door. As soon as he left, Audrey said, "When can we swing, daddy?". Great.

I'll be sure to update when I get it together. We leave for Paris on Friday. If I were you I'd bet on pics of the Eiffel Tower first.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if that swingset is anything like the one Adam and his dad put together a few years ago, I would count on SEVERAL hours. Quite the fun process. While I will enjoy pictures of the finished project I think it would be more entertaining to include pictures of you working on the project! Best of luck! Glad it got there.

RT said...

Just a few thoughts I had as your related your swingset adventure...
1.What a sinking feeling as you watched the AM hours ticking by w/no sign of a delivery...
2.Utter panic when you had to discuss the matter through a phone call - no hand gestures or drawings allowed...
3.Unbelievable relief when the truck actually pulled into your drive!
4.But now, if that swingset is like any I've ever seen, the million pieces also come with a set of very confusing directions...most likely in French this time...
Bonne chance!!

The Thomann's said...

5. What do you do if some of the major pieces are missing?


Oh yes. It happened. I'll share later.

oeschli said...

i guess you can call yourself lucky you didn't buy the swingset at IKEA. there you usually end up with 10% too many screws and joints and stuff... and of course that makes you wonder if that thing would stand on its own without those parts missing.
for paris i give you the advice to WALK up the eiffel tower. in three of the pillars there are elevators up to the first and second floor. in the forth you go by stairs. the experience is much nicer and the waiting line much shorter (and cheaper). it's is 668 steps to the second floor, from there leads only an elevator all the way to the top (a must do). i have seen many small kids doing it, you can stop and rest whenever you need - should not be a problem. i really recommend it!

Wade said...

Hey, W Burch here. Sounds like you had a heckuva time with that swingset. Just checking in on you guys. Haven't talked since Graduation, just wanted to let you know that I start baseball at Lake Land on the 20th and class the 25th. No joke I'm a little nervous, but that's because I'm competitive. Tell every1 I said hi!!! ttyl