Friday, August 8, 2008

3 Little things that make the biggest differences

Toilets

Ok this is a huge category. Where do I start. First, no little levers to flush. Instead two separate buttons await you, one of which may or may not be larger than the other. When forced you can easily decide what the two buttons are for (think about it, #1 and #2); however, the first time you use the facilities, it really throws you for a loop.

Secondly is the toilet paper. Standard white toilet paper is a rarity. Yet, if is pink or peach scented toilet paper that you want, no problem. Who wouldn't want their backside to smell like a fruit salad?

Finally is just the attitude towards public restroom. The easiest way to explain it is that in the U.S. usage of bathroom is a right. Over here it's more of a privelege. Most stores don't have facilities, only restaurants have them. Even at the mall, it'll cost you 50 cents or so to even get in. Just odd to have to put so much effort into planning how and where you'll use the restroom during your daily errands.

Plenty more oddities in this category, but I'll save 'em for later. Besides I'll probably need some pics to illustrate.

Pocket change

Got a little change in your pocket going jing a ling a ling? There could easily be 10 or 15 Euros in there. No bills smaller than a 5 with 1 and 2 Euro coins used instead. I actually like this difference. No more looking in your fat wallet to discover that somehow you've ended up with 12 one dollar bills. Also, it's much easier to buy a coke at the vending machine. The days of trying to iron out a crumpled bill on the side of the machine are over.

The only problem with this is that money seems to disappear faster. Back home I used to toss spare change into a big glass jar. If I get into that practice here, we'll end up with more in the jar than we do in the bank. Plus lots of things cost a euro or two, so you've always got to have few in your pocket (more on that in the next section).


Shopping carts

Probably the oddest little change that is very hard to adapt to. First, you need a euro to get one. You put it in this mechanism on the cart and it unlocks, the euro then rides around with you while you shop, then when you're done you get the same coin back. It's so simple, yet unbelievably effective at keeping the carts together without the need to pay some teenager to do it. The only problem is that I would expect these two benefits. 1) Cheaper prices. WOW! I'd hate to see what a pork chop would cost over here without this system. 2) Less damage to vehicles by shopping carts. Pretty much a moot point. Cars over here may be 3/4 the size of cars in the U.S., but parking spots are easily less than 1/2 the size. It's almost impossible to get out your car without bumping the car next to you.

Also, on a shopping cart, all 4 wheels pivot. Don't laugh, this is a much bigger deal than you think. When I go to the store there is no danger of my poor French giving me away. Long before I speak, I am spotted as a foreigner by my huge, out-of-control, turns from one isle to the next. Honestly, I don't know how they do it. People are buzzing through the store at full speed and here I come looking like I'm drunk and on ice. The kids think that it is hilarious and I'm worried about crashing into some 80 year old woman who'll probably then break her baguette over my head.

Well that's enough for now. I should have some good pictures after this weekend. We are driving 2+ hours each way to visit a pottery shop in a small village. If I were living in the U.S. right now this would not be a happy sentence, but over here I'm actually looking forward to it.

7 comments:

RT said...

We are visiting with Aly while reading today's entry. She and I took turns trying to read it outloud to share, but the laughter and tears made it extremely difficult for anyone in the room to understand either one of us. Looking forward to further updates as you venture out into the community.

Kathy Patterson said...

Reading your blogs and imagining your escapades are better than sitting down to an episode of "I Love Lucy"!

RT said...

or even Barney Fife!

mrthomann said...

Okay, I wasn't planning go through the dauting task of signing up to make posts to your blog, but this question has been weighing on me for a while. I'm definitely no economist nor do I profess to know anything more than the basics of supply and demand, but how is it that the Euro is supposedly so "strong" and the dollar is so "weak" yet every time I go to the grocery, gas station, or a restaurant I get much more "bang for my buck" than anyone spending Eruos? Just wondering how that all adds up?

mrthomann said...

Just happened to be checking out your pics and came to the picture of Shadow. We were unable to cover Kinsey's eyes before she stormed off in a huff. Looks like you've got some splaining to do!

oeschli said...

oh my... i'm sitting here next to my mom (who's wathcing tv) laughing out loud every few seconds. of course i do know lots of differeneces between the u.s. and europe (or even between france and switzerland, or italy, spain, belgium... whatever). but it's just hilarious the way you tell those experiences...!!! it's like watching a cartoon - making a huge thing out of (in some people's opinion) something sooo simple and unexciting. keep writing like that! i'm loving it!

Eric Bender said...

Hey Matt, I know I am a little late on this post but I had to comment on your 'shopping cart' rant. Didn't you ever shop at Aldi when you were back in the States? You have to put a quarter in to get a cart and you get it back when you return it. That way the store doesn't have to pay some high school kid to run around in the parking lot and collect all of them ever hour or so.