Monday, July 21, 2008

I'll be back




I have some fresh news, but not much. My main reason for this blog is French beauracracy. We are moving into our house tomorrow and will set up the high speed internet as well. However, you must have an adress for 8 days before they will turn on the internet. Not sure what I'll do for 8 days but our slogan so far for us and the kids has been "just roll with it". Everything is just enough different to get you slightly out of your comfort zone. Luckily our kids have been pretty good with it. They had a bit of an ordeal when the "jus de orange" at the restaurant came with enough pulp to keep the straw from settling to the bottom, but luckily they regrouped when the ravioli and pizza showed up.




Since my last update we have done a few interesting things. On Sunday we visited an enourmous market. If you wear it or eat it, I think you could have found it here. From perfume to peaches, from boots to blueberries, they had it all. We bought hats for the kids, some peaches, and some grapes. The fruit was excellent. Had we been heading back to the flat for lunch I would have picked up one of the 50+ chickens spinning on the rotisserie in a food cart. We then stopped at a bakery for some pain du chocolate and a baguette. As you can see from the pic, we observed a great french tradition and nibbled off the point on the way home.




Then today we actually got to see our house and do a walk through inspection. We are all very excited to move in. I can't wait to post pics from after we move in.

Before that though, I go lost while driving the kids through Grenoble (Dana was at a French lesson that had to be cancelled. A whole other story.). Tough to do with a GPS unit talking to you the whole time, but I did it. Ok, I wasn't really lost, but confused enough to run one red light and make one very illegal left turn. In the end it was Audrey who spotted the road I needed to turn on. Who knew she was even paying attention. Seriously though, without the GPS, I'm not sure if I could turn around here without getting confused. I'm sure we'll get the hang of it, but it is very odd to drive on roads that do not run in an eventual straight line. Crazy.


Other than moving in, we have some big hikes planned for the weekend. I'll be sure to post some pics after I serve the 8 day waiting period.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well congratulations on getting settled in, it looks really neat over there. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous, I've always wanted to go to Europe but am yet too. Oh well, good luck with the move in.

Ryan Plunkett

Anonymous said...

Matt great job with your blog. Your start in France seems to be going well you are no Clark Griswald. Tell Dana, Audrey, and Lane hello! Keep writing we will be reading.

Mary Swartz

RT said...

Afraid I may have to disagree w/Mary....Matt has many Clark Griswald characteristics as well as a Blackhawks jersey.

oeschli said...

"very odd to drive on roads that do not run in an eventual straight line"

i'm rolling on the floor laughing!!!

muahahaha....