Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good is that we have our visas in hand and our flight leaves tomorrow at 6:27 pm. The waiting is finally over and we are finally moving to France. Dana and the kids did a "Moving to France" dance on Michigan Avenue today, I abstained (more on that later). Best thing about downtown Chicago is that no one gave them a second look. Ironically, after all the wait time, obtaining the visas from the consulate was a breeze and took only about 20 minutes.

The Bad is that we are leaving behind friends and family. As exciting as it is to go, it is very tough to know that you may not see close loved ones for a year. We are also leaving behind Kensie, our black lab, for a while. It's just too hot for her to travel right now so we will have to have her sent over later. All in all, we've kept it together pretty good, but it's not been easy.

The Ugly? Well, unfortunately, that's me, Matt. I've recently started a huge push to get back into shape. My ultimate goal is to run a marathon in Greece on the site of the original marathon. Now, I am a long way from form yet, but I do try to run or do an exercise bike everday. Well, at some point some movement did not agree with my lower back. We were downtown this morning when all of a sudden I noticed that walking was extremely painful. Unfortunately, our plan for the day was "walk around Chicago" I stuck it out, but it may not be pretty tomorrow. Dana may be moving all 12 pieces of luggage by herself.

Well, this will be my last blog update from the U.S. and as of the next writing this blog will finally live up to it's name!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will miss you. Good luck!!!
Justin, Heather, Parker & Avery

oeschli said...

it's july 18 (well actually it just TURNED july 18 20 min ago...). i really hope that next time i scroll over your site i hear some news from france! maybe it helps you that also my plans to go to portugal on vacation were kinda rescheduled. i had to got to the hospital for a few days just on the day of my planed departure...
today (well actually yesterday, on the 17th) i got out of it and i just booked a flight to lisbon on saturday the 19th. hope it works out well this time - my friends are waiting for me down there...
now that i hope you read my comment in france, i think it's at last the right moment to say "WELCOME IN EUROPE!"

hope to see you soon.
thomas

Anonymous said...

Hope that your travels were smooth. We will miss you! Hope to hear from you soon.

Adam, Aly and the kids