Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nothing better to do

You know that feeling you have after you've been sick and you're starting to get a little better. You don't feel good enough to get up and do anything, but are tired of sitting around doing nothing. That's me right now. So, I decided I'd write a blog about some stories that I'd forgotten to tell.





The Chaperone





Since, I don't have a job. (That still sounds weird) I try to help out when and where I can. This included accompanying Audrey's class to their weekly swimming trip during the first quarter. On Tuesday afternoons, the first and second grade classes would go to the pool at a nearby University. They actually separate the kids into four proficiency levels where the kids work to reach the next level. It's actually refreshing to see physical education taken a little more seriously. This interest shows in the adults, almost every adult I've met is regularly involved in some sort of physical activity.





Back to me being the chaperone. My understanding was that my job was to simply usher the boys through the dressing room as quickly as possible. Trying to get 6 and 7 year olds to do anything quickly is never easy, but it's even more difficult when you can't speak their language. I knew "Allez" and "Vite". Go and quick. It worked for a while until they realize that I couldn't really speak the language. I'm pretty sure one of them was a real smart @&& and I don't think I want to know what he was saying.





Then there was the little boy who looked at it as a chance to try out his English. He would try random words that didn't make much sense, but it was cute, so I'd try to talk to him some. Then as we were getting off the bus on a Tuesday afternoon, he looked at me, grinned, and said, "Yesterday is Thursday". I tried not to laugh too hard.








The Halloween Party





This actually occured several weeks back. The schools are on a two week break over Halloween which means that most of the Americans take the opportunity to travel. From what I understand it's probably the biggest shindig of the year. At close to 100 people, I'm sure that it is.





It is of course a costume party for kids and adults alike, if you like. Originally, I planned to throw on my Urlacher jersey and call it a night. Then, about a week before the party the woman hosting, who to say the least is meticulous in her planning, asked if I'd be willing to help out. She wanted me to dress up as some sort of monster and create a game where I "scare" the kids. I agreed, since, again I don't have a job, I try to help out when and wherever. One thing led to another and I decided to dress as the Incredible Hulk. I figured it was easy enough and all the kids would like it.





Unfortunately, this meant I had to locate body paint. I asked around and was pointed to a party store. I looked around for a few minutes, hoping to locate it on my own. No such luck, I was going to have to ask. I'd looked up the words for body paint earlier, but that was only part of it. Determining that I wanted green body paint was easy enough, but then she asked me how much I needed. Having never covered my body in green paint, I didn't know the answer. So, I asked for help. She asked me what I wanted it for or what I wanted to be. When I replied "Le Hulk Incroyable" her amusement was clear. Apparently she had never advised a 6'4 man on covering his body with paint either, so she had to enlist the help of her manager. Before suggesting two full containers he also expressed his amusement. So two tubes of green paint, some black face paint, a wig, and several Euros later I headed out.



Using an old shirt and pants and Dana's help. Here was the end result.












Now I'd forgotten that the plan was to park at the local parking lot and walk a couple hundred yards through town to the party house. At first, I was a little embarassed, then I thought, "Who could I possibly run into that I know?". The answer: Madame Mirabelle, Audrey's teacher. To her credit, she didn't seem too shocked and simply asked if we were going to a Halloween party. I sure hope so.


Now, as it turned out the hostess had enough planned that my "game" and costume weren't needed at all. Which means that I was simply the guy who takes Halloween way too seriously. What you must also remember is that this was my first time meeting roughly 50% of the guests. I have met several of these folks since and needed to re-introduce myself. Just a great first impression, don't you think?


The hills are alive.....


Upon returning from Normandy we could hear strange and constant bell ringing when we stepped outside. The next morning we finally saw the source of the mysterious noise. Sheep and goats covered the opposite slope. Probably a couple hundred of them. Apparently it is their winter pasture.


Actually they make for some good entertainment. Sometimes we watch the guard dogs that stay with and protect the sheep at all times. They did not appreciate the kids, myself, and Kensie getting close enough for some good pictures. All six of the large dogs quickly oreintated to our position and barked convincingly. It's also quite funny when it rains. The bell ringing becomes less often but is broken intermittently by more erratic bell ringing as the sheep shake off the rain.


But my favorite is to watch in the morning when the shepherd arrives. The guard dogs immediately "take five" and hed for a sunny spot and a nap. The border collies take over and immediately start to cram all the animals into a spot much smaller than you would think possible. I don't know what the shepherds do every day, but I've grown fond of watching them every morning over coffee.


Lyon


We finally made it to Lyon yesterday. It's only about an hour away but we just hadn't yet managed to make it there yet. Lyon is considered the "gastronomic capital" of France, making it either extremely delicious or pretentious, or both. Our first stop was a market along the river. Now we've been to several French markets and all of them together might equal everything we saw at this one. I simply cannot describe it. It had to be a quarter of a mile long filled with nothing but food, fresh oysters, veggies, jams, fruits, meats, nuts, mushrooms of every kind.


Unfortunately, we weren't there to shop for groceries, but we did buy some things to snack on. Our next destination was a bouchon. Buchons are a type of cafe specific to Lyon. They serve the cuisine that has made famous (or infamous, depending on your taste). Some of the local delicacies are tripe (cow stomach), andouillette (sausage of pig intestines), and pike quennelles (basically puffy fish meatloaf). Foolishly, I thought we would have to search to find a bouchon. In reality, we discovered why Lyon is the gastrnomic capital. The sheer number of these bouchons in old Lyon is amazing, and they all serve the three aforementioned dishes along with, to Dana's relief, some other less offensive dishes.


We finally closed our eyes and picked a bouchon. It was like I imagined it would be; a small cafe with red and white tiled floors, one waitress and a chef. As I have written before, it has been my goal to try local delicacies whenever possible, meaning that I basically was going to choose between the three cow stomach, pig intestines or puffy fish meatloaf. Being my first time in Lyon, I went with the safest of the three, the quenelle. Actually it was very good, next time I think I'll try the tripe.


I'm sure it goes without saying that Dana did not partake in any of these. She enjoys french cuisine quite a lot, as long as its made with relatively familiar ingredients.


The only problem is that this was yesterday, and it was upon return that I started feeling sick. So, that means it may be a while before I feel like returning to Lyon for some traditional bouchon fare.

1 comment:

RT said...

OK, I'm officially a follower of the Thomann blog. The signup was quick and painless, so I hope everyone who takes the time to read Matt's blogs will also register. I don't think Matt realizes how many people are following his adventures.