Saturday, September 27, 2008

We're still here.

I know, I know I haven't written in a while, but that's a good thing. The reason is that we are settling in and starting to feel at home. Much like many of you we're hitting our stride a few weeks into the school year. Another possible factor is that the English TV, on which we've been patiently waiting, was finally installed. Alright, it's mostly the latter. Sorry. No, TV isn't more important than keeping our friends and family updated, or at least, it won't be anymore.

Here are a few person by person updates

Matt

I'm still adjusting to being a French Housewife, but I'm getting used to it. I do have to laugh when any friend of mine will send me a note asking what I do with all my "free time". I really wish I knew. It goes somewhere but I haven't figured out where yet. I have; however, learned to adjust my calendar to it. I've accepted the fact that a trip to the grocery store will take an entire morning. No, it's not an extremely exciting way to spend a morning, but it's always interesting. I always leave the store with a tale or two to tell, which I'll be sure to include in a blog very soon

A lot of time gets used up with French lessons as well. It's instense. Generally I have 3-2 hour lessons per week, and on the days I don't have lessons, I'll spend an hour or so working on my own. The good news is that its working. Lately I've been able to carry on more conversations than I used to. Like today, for example, we purchased a buffet for some dishes. I took care of everything in French: price, sale price, type of wood, the size, delivery date, and payment. Everything. It's not perfect and fluent, just being able to do it makes you feel much more comfortable. There are, of course, still instances where I am completely lost, but they are fewer.

The second basketball outing wasn't quite as shocking, but, then again, how could it be "as shocking"? It was still, an experience. I've noticed that the French are always willing to point out flaws, even they can't do it themselves. It's not unlike fat sportswriters critiquing NFL quarterbacks, except that they will do it with you standing right there. They aren't being rude, it's just a cultural difference. For example. The latest basketball session included some shooting drills (funny, I know). Anyway, I got paired with the only bilingual player on the "team". In her defense, she is the best player out of all the women. Now, being a coach, I thought I could help her out. Surely, I thought, she could learn to shoot with one hand instead of two, after all it was from only 5 feet away. I asked her to just try, which she did a couple of times before saying "nope, I can't". Oh well, I tried. Then it was my turn. After a miss following 5 or 6 swishes, she felt that she needed to mention my lack of a complete follow-thru. Yes, I was slacking and no, I wasn't "putting my hand in the cookie jar" like I should have been, but I was shocked that she mentioned it. That never would have happened in the U.S. Just a funny little difference.

Other than that, I'm just living. It's really starting to feel more comfortable. School has helped immensely. We are meeting more people and starting to feel more at home. As mentioned, I've got some funny stories that I'll be sharing soon.

Dana

Well, hello everyone! As Matt mentioned, we are starting to establish a schedule, which is nice. It is helping all of us. And the Amercian TV is nice....I can tell I am feeling more 'at home' as I am now back to falling asleep while we watch TV of an evening. Nice for me, but not so for Matt!

The house is starting to feel comfy too. We have rearranged the living room a few times, but I think we now have it set up so we maximize the space, can see the TV and also enjoy the fire - which I imagine we will be doing lots this fall and winter.

We have a big week this week as we prep for Audrey's birthday. We are going to have some families over to play and eat supper with us. And she has requested that we go to our favorite restaurant on pizza row on Sunday after church.

Well - I am ready to fall asleep on the couch now so I am going to turn it back over to Matt!
Lots of love to you all!

Audrey

Audrey's probably got the toughest path of all. I can't imagine it. She went from Kindergarten in English to 2nd grade (or CE1 to them) in French. She's doing well, but it's tough. She also has 3 French lessons a week, which are used mostly to translate her homework for her. The good news is that her teacher deals with it every year and is, supposedly, very good at it. Also from the "good" column is the fact that she is handling it very well. Her new best friend is bilingual and helps her out quite a bit.

Her ballet is also going well. She really enjoys it, but it could potentially be very stressful for her. After all, it's all in French. The fact that she doesn't let this deter her is amazing. She can't wait to go every Wednesday. Lane and I watch and play from the outside, and it's more than a little humorous. First is the delayed reaction by Audrey. She listens, watches and then acts. I heard through a second party that one mother asked "What's wrong with that girl?". Just American that's all. She's learning though, and quick. The funniest part; however, is her height. Audrey was tall for her age by American standards, over here it's even more so. She's easily a head taller than any other student and only 6 inches shorter than her teacher.

All in all, she's doing great and very excited to be turning 7 next Sunday. So, if you get a chance, send her an email or an online card to the address posted on our website. She'll love it.

Lane

Well, Lane is Lane. Judo didn't work out like we hoped, and in hindsight, I'm not surprised. The only experience he had with judo is watching it on the Olympics and then we tried to throw him onto a mat with teacher that spoke no English. He was a little frightened. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but it easily could have been that the teacher was going to flip him and pin him for not understanding his instructions. We tried twice, neither with any success. Maybe next year.

Lane is probably picking up French as fast as any of us just in a different way. He can't spout out sentences or vocab on request, but he can somehow understand his teacher when she rattles off orders in French. It's strange how kids his age learn. They just understand. I doubt he'll every be able to translate for us, yet I have no doubt that after 6 months he'll be carrying on conversations.

One thing we didn't expect is his learning of a third language. He's learning the "Kings English". His best friend in British and they spend a lot of time together. Lane can switch from an American to a Britsih accent on command. It's not some crappy fake accent either, it's (as they say) "spot on". I can't wait for some of you to hear it. Lane will probably be used as a parlor trick anytime someone comes to visit. I'll have to work out a script for him.

His school is also going well. Back home he would be going to school for 2 hours three times per week, but here he goes for full days (w/ lunch) twice a week, half days twice and week and has French lessons 3 times per week. He has shown some resistance, but not much. I usually tell him that I know it's tough, but it's just something he's got to do. Before school the other day we had this conversation

Lane - "Dad, I don't want to go to school today"
Me - "Well, Lane, I'm sorry, but you have to"
Lane - "I know that, I just want you to know that I don't want to go"

Fair enough.


Kensie

We're ready for our pooch to come on over. It looks like Dana has to head back the U.S. sometime in October. Now the rest of us aren't thrilled that she gets to head home with out us, but we'll forgive her if she brings back the dog.


Well, that's all for now. I'll post some more very soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kensie is starting to pack her things in anticipation of her big trip. Tonight she had Bobe's and next week she'll do Chilly Willy's one more time, and then be ready to go. We will miss her!
RT